Monday, May 7, 2012

Daily Report: Learning All The Time



My main goal in our homeschooling journey was for my children to find joy in learning. They grew up absorbing every bit of life and they longed for ""Learning Time". As the days of going to school added up their thirst for knowledge begin dwindling away. Here we are almost a year later and I can't tell you honestly when learning begins or stops here anymore. They have crazy learning time in the morning and way into the night. In fact sometimes I feel a little sad when it is 9:30 at night and I have to tell them to go to bed, right in the middle of another work, another great idea! They have managed to create their own works, and frankly I am really just mom. I am not looked at as their teacher, and we have all ditched the idea that we do school at home. Does this make sense to anyone? It is all new to me, and I accept it wholeheartedly. The Montessori Philosophy has been a perfect match for our family, and the independence that they feel is just overwhelmingly joyful for them at times, when I ask them to do things like go mow the lawn(DJ). DJ watched me very carefully mow the lawn and wanted so badly to do so. The next time the lawn needed to be cut I passed the job onto a willing body with smiles from ear to ear. SO COOL!! The next thing DJ asked is if he could trim the bushes!! Just one of the several examples that I love to share, and photos are not always possible unless I carry a camera every corner I turn:) I thought that sharing our joys it may encourage others who have children who are losing their interest in learning. Another thing is we are really doing a lot of different things that I introduced to them based on observing them. Today we tried coloring in a math journal and it was really fun to watch them so absorbed in this activity. Their work was so much neater too:) They journaled the first chapter in their Life Of Fred math books.



I only suggested that they write the title of the chapter and then record in the journal what they got out of reading it. DJ's work is on top, Ken's is on the bottom.


DJ is really into his Nintendo 3DS and so I got him the Skylanders game, but given the opportunity to go shop for himself with some birthday money he brought a CSI DNA kit.


The bag was not included. We thought it was wise to organize everything. Michelle had this kit before and has lost some pieces so DJ wanted to be cautious.
The folder holds all of the necessary case files to solve. This kit is amazing, don't let it fool you! Lots of play learning fun.
The cups hold the DNA strands. Sometime this week I'll share with you the inside of the folder, right now whenever I am looking for it to take a picture DJ is reading it.
Hard at work solving his first crime.


I am happy that he wanted to spend his money on something he could learn a whole lot from. Skylanders has gotten kicked to the curb for the time being.

8 comments:

  1. Oooo...you are GOOD! Lovely post, I will be sharing this one with a lot of people. It's a great description of what Montessori elementary looks like at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for leaving a comment with so much support!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh- the CSI kit looks so cool! I love that your son was eager to mow the lawn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kit shocked me with the learning experiences it can offer.I hope that he stays eager to mow, it sure felt good to SIT and watch him.

      Delete
  4. Love this post! I can relate so much to what you have written. We had one such day too, where learning just continued on well until bedtime! Thanks for this awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. It is always good news to hear how others are breeding great results in their home learning journeys, I appreciate you taking the time to share yours.

      Delete
  5. Not only have your children been good workers, you have been a great encourager (apparently that isnt a word my spell check tells me) and have been willing to let your children try these new things. I need to work on that more with my oldest especially. How awesome is it that DJ mows the lawn now!! Win for you both :).

    ReplyDelete

Your Comments Are Greatly Appreciated!!