Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Give Them Something To Write About~Language Linky

We had our traditional Gingerbread Man Hunt yesterday. We usually make our Gingerbread Man, but I accidentally brought a premade one wanting to get a kit with all of the ingredients packaged together. We did make sugar cookies though just not our Man.

I guess you are wondering how can going on a Gingerbread Man Hunt have anything to do with reading and writing?


Well we read the book The Gingerbread Man enough so much that the kids can participate in Choral Reading(so cute).

Buying the premade unfortunately meant the older ones missed out on reading the recipes aloud. But anyway here is how our work period unfolded full of rich language experiences.

I had to get creative since they love the story line so much when the old woman tells the little boy not to open the oven door. Since we weren't using an oven we placed him in a gift box so that he could not runaway, we knew he might based on our prior experiences and reading the book. The kids wanted to eat him really bad but agreed to wait until afternoon snack time.

Just like last year the Gingerbread Man escaped! Now the kids were on the hunt looking for the Gingerbread Man.

Before we searched the neighborhood the kids made wanted signs. Some of the signs had informational text written on them.
                            
 Others simply colored a picture of the Gingerbread Man and dictated to me what they wanted to write.

 After all that hunting for the Gingerbread Man they eventually found him on the table in the school room with a letter that he had written. The kids were all excited and loved hearing form the Gingerbread Man. The Gingerbread Man thanked the kids for giving him the opportunity to run around again, but gave them permission to eat him, since he grows new legs each year:)

Ken and DJ were inspired by this letter and took advantage of the Gingerbread Man Writing Prompts that I put on the language shelf earlier in the morning.

                            
                            
   The writing prompts were free from here.                                                                           

                                   
 Janessa "read" the book some more after the hunt and has declared it her favorite book.

                            
  Enjoying the Gingerbread Man.

I would like to add that the suspense of the Gingerbread Man missing did receive a response " I am scared" from a four year old. He was relieved and ready to carry on, once we all told him we were just pretending. Just be cautious if you do this activity with younger ones who sometimes have difficulty telling the difference from pretend/real life.          




This will be the last language link up until January. Go ahead link up!!
                                                              

5 comments:

  1. This is absolutely wonderful!!! I am sorry I have fallen down on my promise to link the last couple of weeks. I just have been so tired lately, I can't keep up! My older kids have been helping out so much, but I have not been able to do all that I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phyllis, I truly understand! You linked up here enough, I value your support. This is just for fun!!

    God is good! You must feel proud that you can count on your kids to help you on those very tired days.

    Thank you for taking the time to share what is going on, I admire how resilient you are, and I am following(and praying) your journey on your other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing such a terrific holiday activity! I must do this with my son next year, I'm really interested in doing book-related activities with my son to help his language, fine motor, and as an extension of literature. Some of the Montessori materials are still hard for him due to his special needs (or he's past the 'interest stage'). And thanks for linking up to the holiday hop! I pinning this on our board! http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/montessori-holiday-hop/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this best stuff with us! Keep sharing! I am new in the blog writing. All types blogs and posts are not helpful for the readers. Here the author is giving good thoughts and suggestions to each and every reader through this article. literature-essay Quality of the content is the main element of the blog and pay to write my assignment this is the way of writing and presenting.

    ReplyDelete

Your Comments Are Greatly Appreciated!!