Sunday, September 22, 2013

Drawing

I am really not the kid's teacher, just their facilitator. I came to this conclusion over the summer when the kids started making fast academic achievements over the summer ( when we were on "break"). I couldn't keep up with them, and to be honest the questions they were asking were out of my skill level. Which is O.K by me because that is the beauty of homeschooling you can learn right alongside them. I am happy that they find me to be a resource person. Where they are now in being able to follow their interest is being able to connect with experts, those who specialize in certain fields.
.
DJ for a long time has been into animals. Over the summer DJ was frustrated with himself for not being able to draw things in nature "properly". He sketched over and over and finally one day he asked me if I would help him draw something. Those who really know me, know that I am really great at drawing stick people, but that is it. To prevent frustration we gathered " How To" tutorials from the internet, and books from the library. While this kept him busy for some time I was also researching if there were drawing classes in the area. I was pleased to use my resource skills to find a certified art teacher to teach drawing classes at the Studio.

                                                                       

Since his first class he has been begging for a new sketch book and a trip to the nature center. How wonderful that he considers that these two things go together. I am so happy for him and the progress he is making with his own independent studies.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful opportunity you are providing.
    blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have signed the kids up for art classes at the local art center. They get drawing education and 'socialization' all at the same time. I am right with you on the stick figure drawing, so it is nice to have another source for the kids to learn from!!

    ReplyDelete

Your Comments Are Greatly Appreciated!!